Third Step Prayer

"God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A metaphor

I just got home from a great meeting. I don't remember much of the reading that was used as the topic, but it got me thinking about choices.

The way I see it, my program is like a house. My Higher Power helps me build and mantain the house. As long as I keep doing the next right thing, my H.P.'s will for me, the house will be structurally sound. This allows me to have an infinite number of choices. I can decorate the house in any way I wish. I can pick out the furniture, paint it whatever colors I want, hang the pictures I like, rearrange it all at any time, depending on my mood and preferences. All I have to do is a few simple things to keep the house habitable and up to code.

Before my relapse, I neglected the house and it fell into disrepair. The roof leaked and the rain ruined the carpets. I changed the carpet but it kept getting ruined. The walls became infested with termites. I repainted the walls to disguise the damage, but the walls continued getting eaten. By ignoring the problems, I only made things worse. Eventually my bedroom completely caved in. I finally had to acknowledge that my house was no longer fit for human habitation.

By doing stepwork, I am allowing my H.P. to help me rebuild and make the house livable again. A lot of work needs to be done, but the house is salvageable. By building on the portions of the house that weren't completely destroyed, my H.P. and I can create a beautiful, structurally sound house. I just have to remember that it requires daily cleaning and maintenance, so that it stays that way.

I like this metaphor because I think my H.P. wants me to have a life rich with choices. If my program and my relationship with my H.P. are in order, I can enjoy simple pleasures, take on new challenges, try new things, pursue hobbies, go on adventures, follow my bliss. There are no guarantees that everything I try will pan out, but I will have the freedom to try. If they don't work out, I can learn from the experience and try something else without having to take a drink or a drug. This is one of the great gifts of sobriety for me.

No comments: